What is a S.C.O.B.Y?
S.C.O.B.Y stands for 'symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast'. It is exactly what it sounds like, it is a group of bacteria and yeast that is created through the process of fermentation. It is the main ingredient for making a great brew of Kombucha. You will need one in order to brew your own Kombucha at home and save yourself hundreds of dollars :)!
Above are pictures of the beautiful SCOBY I made at home. It was almost too easy to write 'How To' instructions, but here goes:
How to make your own SCOBY:
1. Buy a bottle of original Kombucha from your local grocery store
2. Drink it most of it, but leave about 3 inches left in the bottle
3. Pour the remaining drink into a sterilized mason jar
4. Cover the top of the mason jar with cheesecloth or a piece of cloth (anything will do, I used a piece of an old white cotton t-shirt that I cut up)
5. Secure the cloth over the opening with an elastic band
6. Store in a cool, dry, dark place (the Scoby hotel) for 10-21 days; I went on vacation for 3 weeks and came back to the Scoby you see above
It's that easy!
If you have any questions, please reach out. firstname.lastname@example.org